NARAtions

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bad News Comes in 3s

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a better day than I am. My sister told me today that she cant come home for Christmas because she just started a new job and doesn't think she will be able to take the time off. I am already feeling defeated after getting turned down for two jobs at the same branch. I know yes, I will have to get over it and evidentually I will. I go through this period where I get sulky for a day or two, and then I'm ok. Yesterday when I got the emailed about not even getting the interview I was confused and upset. Now, Im angry. Angry because I feel like I was duped. But the angry will pass as well, and life will inevitably go on. I hate to play the race card, since so often that is what black people tend to do when they dont get things they think they deserve, but I think it goes without saying that for African-American women we are disadventaged 2X: We are women and we are black. My mother has told me often that because I am a woman and a minority I have to go above and beyound and outdo the competition and the work world if I want to get ahead. I took that much to heart, and I still do now. But the question is, when you have done all you can do to a certain point, whats next? I guess the obvious answer would be to get on pushing, and thats EXACTLY, what I will do!

2 comments:

  1. hmmm...I don't know nothin bout the race card, because I haven't met the people hired, but I was surprised that the 3 big programming slots went to people outside the system, & I presume a lot of people in the system applied. There was talk that this library would become something of a hub for programmers system-wide to come in to do programs, and that could be a great way to show off what you can do to people outside your branch. Also, in librarianship women are presumably the majority. Sure, the men in the field are disproportionately in management fields and I am not really going to defend to the death any idea that women are in charge, but there are still other ways that you are somewhat marginalized (according to some) and that is you are a children's programmer. Over the last 2 days a lot of the online library commentary has been about a kids programmer feeling rather marginalized. my advice is to put yourself out there, go to conferences, get on committees, make yourself indispensible. I know you have the talent, and I believe you will go far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again John! I have taken your advice to heart. I am on the outreach committee now, and just emailed the coordinator of the Arkansas Book Center to see about how I can possibly get involved with that organization. I have also decided to make a more concerted effort to be more involved with the State Library and their programs and functions.

    ReplyDelete